Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Skate Shoes

In the recent weeks, Will has become obsessed with what he calls "skate shoes." As school is quickly approaching, we went shopping for clothes at the Promenade. I told him he couldn't wear skate shoes at school, but if we found some, he could buy them with his money to wear at home. In every store, he would walk up to the counter and ask if they had skate shoes. Each time, they said no. We had gone through about eight stores, and he was starting to get frustrated. As we were leaving the last store, he said "Well, I think one of you should get skate shoes because I have walked all over, and I am tired of everybody saying no to me!" The store clerk laughed and promised to see if they could get some soon. That night I checked online for some CHEAP skate shoes and of course Wal-Mart came through. They had a pair for $9.00 with $.97 shipping. You can't beat that! The only catch is that the shoes are a boys size 4 (Will is a kids 13). Oh well, he can grow into them. I bought them for him and told him that the "box man" would be bringing him something special really soon. Last Friday, we watched all morning for the box man. FINALLY, at lunch, the doorbell rang. Will was so excited. He tore into the box and pulled out the shoes. I have never seen his face light up like that. It really was priceless. The rest of the day, he would tell me how much he loved his shoes and would wear them forever. That night as he was going to bed, he looked at me and said "Mommy, I love you with my whole heart. You're the bestest mommy in the whole, wide earth." I have to admit, I nearly cried. Its nice to know that in spite of all my screw-ups as a mom, skate shoes can put me back on top! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, what a sweet story!!! Like the new page...very cute! Hope y'all are having a great time in San Fran! :)

The Jordon Family said...

Alicia, your kids have grown big time and they are so cute !
Wil was so sweet in class Sunday..he's really funny and cute!!
Enjoy the skate shoes !

Janie

Kari Beth said...

What a sweet boy and what a great Mommy!